Once Upon a Time in the Vest

Friday, November 28, 2014

v. 4 n. 89 Walk Ons - Who Were the Greatest?



I haven't done any research on this, so I can't even give an opinion at this time.  However I hope that your replies will form the basis of an interesting story to put on later.  So if you can think of any track and field performers who came to a university on their own, without a sports scholarship, or maybe one that was a bust in a different sport and then turned to track and field and performed admirably that might be a slightly different but no less notable category.  We're waiting for your stories.  You can reply to me at   irathermediate@gmail.com or post a comment at the bottom of this page.  Mention the words  'walk on' in your reply, so I'll be able to separate the wheat from the chaff on my email.  Since there are not scholarships in Div. III or the old 'college' division in earlier days, I suppose everyone was a walk on in that category.       Thinking of that, I will throw in two Ohio Wesleyan runners,  Quentin Brelsford who won or was runner up in the NCAA cross country meet just after WWII and John Guteknecht who made the US team in the early sixties in the 10,000 meters.  So there's the gun to set off this discourse.
George Brose

No comments:

V 14 N. 23 My First Track Coach Died This Week - Ed Jones R.I.P.

                                                                                                                                    1935-202...